Softest Washcloths / Facecloths for Sensitive Skin

Fairface™ Washcloths were mentioned as one of the Best Washcloths for facial cleansing on Into The Gloss! Made for sensitive skin, but loved by all, the soothing properties of Fairface™ Washcloths make them a must-have for any skin care routine.

Soothing, skin-calming fabrics offer relief from further irritation and redness that the harsh textures of regular washcloths can cause. Whether you suffer from red, dry, irritated skin, Eczema, Acne, Rosacea, Dermatitis, or other sensitive skin conditions, Fairface Washcloths™ can offer you gentle, soothing relief.

Only the finest and softest 100% cotton face-friendly fabrics are used to create a soothing and gentle wash, & no harsh textures. Fairface™ Washcloths come in convenient packages of 2 and are affordable for any budget. Experience the pleasure of happy skin with Fairface Washcloths™!

*Available exclusively through the quick & secure Payment option below or our shops: FairfaceWashcloths.com , & Fairface Washcloths.etsy.com


Sunscreen Diaries Part 2: Fairface Podcast Episode 11

common questions about spf and sensitive skin - Fairface Podcast Episode 11

Fairface Podcast Episode 11: Sunscreen Diaries Part 2




Listen now or on Apple/Itunes  or other channels here












Fairface Podcast transcript / show notes


Sunscreen Diaries Part 2

Short intro
Welcome to part 2 of the Sunscreen Diaries, (continued on from Episode 10 of the Fairface Podcast) where we'll get into answering the top questions around sunscreen - wearing it - re-applying it and even brand recommendations for the best sunscreens for sensitive skin, so let's jump back in where we left off!

Answers to common questions about sunscreen (as a sensitive skin type)


Ok, back to sunscreen

One skin care company that I really admire is Paula's Choice. I think they are so good at educating their customers about their products and all things related to skin care. I am really impressed with the way they communicate their messages and content, both on their website and in social media. They are often a resource I look to when I have questions, not just about their products, but about some skin care topic in general, whatever that might be.  They have quite a few good articles about sunscreen, so check them out as a reference.


A few questions that always come up for me, personally, about sunscreen are:


  • What's the difference between mineral sunscreens versus synthetic sunscreens?
  • What is the best sunscreen for sensitive skin (Rosacea, in particular)?
  • What is the best way to apply sunscreen (as far as timing with moisturizer, and make-up/ foundation)?
  • Do I need to re-apply it, and how do I do that if I'm already wearing make-up?


So let's take a look at those questions:

What's the difference between mineral sunscreens versus synthetic sunscreens? (and which ones are better for sensitive skin?)


Mineral sunscreens are ones best known to be well suited for sensitive skin. They are also known as physical sunscreens, that use ingredients like titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide as their active ingredients.

Remember seeing lifeguards with thick white or neon colored paste on their noses? That's most likely zinc oxide which is noticeably thick and pasty. With new formulations, companies have been able to create a mineral sunscreen that works well but is not so thick and pasty. This type of sunscreen usually is best tolerated by sensitive skin because the ingredients are more gentle.  This type of sunscreen works on the surface areas of your skin by scattering, absorbing and deflecting the harmful UVA and UVB sun rays.

Synthetic sunscreens are the ones also known as chemical sunscreens, and these are the ones with the potential of irritation to sensitive skin because of their ingredients. The way these sunscreens work, is to convert UV rays into heat so it deactivates them and they are scattered and deflected from the skin to prevent damage. I'll list the types of ingredients to look for in synthetic or chemical sunscreens, in the show notes.

*Ingredients to look for in chemical sunscreens include: oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate, and avobenzone are used as active ingredients.

It's also important to remember to look for "fragrance free" on your sunscreen, that it does not contain "perfum" or "fragrance" because those are irritants to sensitive skin as well.


What is the best sunscreen for sensitive skin (Rosacea, in particular)?

As I mentioned earlier, I have been using Eucerin Daily SPF 30 on my face every day for years and I'm also trying to be better about applying it to my neck and chest daily as well, which you all should be doing as well.

It is a dermatologist recommended, lightweight, broad UVA/UVB spectrum protection SPF 30 moisturizer (that's from their website). It doesn't clog pores, it's gentle for sensitive skin and is fast absorbing and non-greasy. All of those things are true for me. This is what I've been using for years and really like it a lot. For me, there isn't really a reason to find another sunscreen since this works for me, but after reading about some of these other brands, I actually might give some a try.

I looked at the ingredients list of Eucerin SPF 30 and it looks like it actually includes both mineral and chemical sunscreen ingredients (Ensulizole 2.0% , Octinoxate 7.5% , Octisalate 4.5% , Titanium Dioxide 2.4% , Zinc Oxide 4.8% (Sunscreens)...which I'm surprised I can use it because I'm sensitive to so many ingredients, but this works well for me and doesn't irritate my skin. And I'm wondering if maybe it's because I use a moisturizer on my face and skin right out of the shower so that's already on my skin. Maybe that's kind of a buffer of sorts, before I put on my sunscreen so maybe that's why it doesn't irritate as much, I'm not sure.

But through my research for this podcast, it really is clear that even if we share skin sensitivities, or skin types, we can all react differently to the same products. So I decided that I want to give you a list of some products to consider, for sensitive skin.

Sunscreens suitable for Sensitive Skin and Rosacea


This list is compiled from a variety of sources, some from our Fairface Washcloths customers, others from different websites and some from a Rosacea and Sensitive Skin Forum. (*none of these brands or products are sponsored, just clean word of mouth referrals)

Paula's Choice
which is among those brands mentioned, has 3 different mineral sunscreens that they say are suitable for sensitive skin.


  • They have 2 in their CALM line, it's called CALM Redness Relief SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizers - one for Normal to Dry Skin and one is for Normal to Oily Skin.


  • They also have one in their RESIST line, called Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 -which they claim is the best tinted moisturizer with SPF for sensitive skin.


I haven't ever tried a tinted moisturizer, but I'm interested in maybe trying that. Have any of you tried these Paula's Choice products? I'm really curious and, like I said, I might try one of them myself and if I do I'll let you know.


Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF 30
Suntegrity Tinted sunscreen
In my interview with one of our customers and celebrity make-up artists, Christina Grant (that article is still on our website's blog and I'll link that: Actors, Make-up and Sensitive Skin: Behind the scenes with NYC Make-up Artist Christina Grant), she (who has Rosacea herself) said she likes to use the Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF 30; and she shared that the lead actress on the show, “Search Party” (who she did the make-up for) liked to use the Suntegrity Tinted sunscreen with its color coverage and light application.

Rosacea Care line
Another one of our Fairface customers, Debra, from Michigan, said she uses the Rosacea Care line and the un-tinted sunscreen but she said she doesn't love it, it "drags" a bit on her skin and she's actually searching for a better one.

La Roche-Posay
Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturiser SPF 47
One brand that came up a lot in the forums and websites, among those with sensitive skin and Rosacea, like if you've ever looked up websites on Rosacea, someone named the Talonted Lex, I think it's called, she's a well known Rosacea blogger, and she recommended the La Roche-Posay those sunscreens seem to be the right thing for her and several other people with sensitive skin or Rosacea said that they also liked the La Roche-Posay, I'm so sorry if I'm massecuring that name, but they also liked that brand and it seems like there are several different formulations so depending on what works for you I guess there's a few different ones that you can try.

And this blogger, Lex, also recommended the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturiser SPF 47 and a few others so you can always check her blog out if want to read up on those.

Vanicream SPF
I use Vanicream SPF 50 when I go to the beach and, like I said, it is thick. Very thick. I use it when I go to the beach because I know I'll be out in the sun for an extended period of time. I mostly use it on my body but I have used it on my face before and it is really thick. My make-up goes on smoothly, but I look a bit shiny. Vanicream 50 is the big guns for protection for sure. I also want to try their SPF 35 and see if it's a bit less thick and slick. So I might try that, and if I do I'll let you know.

Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin spf 60
I have also personally tried the Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen I don't remember if I've used it on my face before, but I have used it on my body. *It looks like, according to the ingredients list, that it is a chemical sunscreen, because it does not include titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.

One person mentioned they liked Neutrogena Sensitive Skin spf 60, which I haven't tried before.

Other sunscreen favorites mentioned in sensitive skin/rosacea forums were:

  • Avene SPF 50
  • Clarins light-weight spf 50
  • SkinCeuticals
  • Dr. JART BB balm spf 45 with added tint
  • Clinique City Block Oil Free SPF25 and SPF 50
  • Elta MD UV Clear SPF
  • Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen - which is supposed to be a really great body sunscreen, but it might be a little thick for your face
  • CeraVe AM moisturiser, spf 30
  • Clear Zinc by Ocean Potion (that sounds fun)


Those are just some of the brands that kept popping up in the forums that I read for those with sensitive conditions and maybe Rosacea, Eczema, any of those sensitive skin conditions.

So I would love to know if you have tried any of these and what you thought of it. I may try some and see how my skin tolerates it. And I will let you know if I do.

How and when to apply sunscreen, other moisturizers and foundation make-up?


Ok, on to the next question:
What is the best way to apply sunscreen (timing with moisturizer, and make-up/foundation)?

I've heard mixed things about this. An esthetician I follow on IG, said you can apply moisturizer and SPF immediately afterwards to get a smooth finish.

However, my Dermatologist wasn't pleased when I told her I use Vanicream moisturizer first and then apply my SPF after that. She said my SPF should be the first thing I put on.

Other sources say it should be the last thing you put on (before you apply your make-up).

So whenever things get conflicting and confusing, kind of like diets, this is what I think.
Don't stress so much about getting it EXACTLY right, and don't let it get you so stressed out that you don't wear it because you're afraid that you'll do it wrong.

The greatest thing I learned is that you can layer your sunscreen...so you have a lot of chances to get it right!

My SPF / moisturizer / foundation routine:


I follow the rule of applying SPF of at least 30, liberally to your face and any part of your body that will be exposed at least 20-30 minutes prior to going outside or, I will also add, before sitting indoors by a window for an extended period of time.

This SPF foundational layer is important because the better you do this part, the less likely you are to need to re-apply later, if you're just under normal circumstances, and I'll talk more about that in a couple minutes.

Go for the highest number of SPF your skin and make-up can tolerate- for me, anything higher than 30 can start to get a little bit thick and greasy for my face, so I stick with 30.

Wait at least 5 minutes for the SPF to settle and sink in, because you don't want to dilute it with your make-up, and then apply your foundation.

If you have a foundation with SPF in it, as well as your first layer of sunscreen before you put your foundation, great! Even better! You get another layer of protection! And another chance to get SPF right.

Is wearing foundation with SPF enough?

It is a common misconception that you can just use foundation with SPF in it. What I've heard over and over is that foundation with SPF just really doesn't give you quite enough protection, so in general, you probably need more than what's in your foundation. So that's why applying SPF to your skin before applying your foundation, even if it has SPF in it, is important.

I'm still going to put on my moisturizer right out of the shower, after applying my metro gel to my face. I'm going to wait about 5 minutes, after putting the moisturizer on, before applying my SPF, because that works for me.

One thing I was going to tell you is that sun protection isn't just about the heat, it's about the light and that's why it is important to wear sunscreen 365 days of the year, even when you're inside. Just make it a healthy habit that is part of your daily routine.


Do I need to reapply sunscreen if I'm wearing make-up?


The last question is, do I need to re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours, and if so, how do I do that if I'm already wearing make-up?

For me, unless I'm at the beach or sweating a lot, I don't re-apply my sunscreen. And according to an article on Paula's Choice, that is ok. It says, "if you apply it (SPF) liberally in the beginning,"... [like I said, that important, foundational SPF layer]... "reapplication isn’t critical." So, I will go with that. And if I do happen to have, you know, if I'm at the beach and I have that extra can of spray sunscreen, that I can spray over the top of any existing sunscreen, I will use that, because why not make sure that I'm triple, quadruple protected, you know? So, keep that in mind.

Basically, if you're going to be outside in the sun, sweating, in the pool, in the ocean, it's best to reapply your sunscreen about every 2 hours. BUT under normal circumstances indoors or if you are just in and out, if you've started out with an adequate amount of sunscreen on your face, and body, you don't need to worry about reapplying it, according to the things I have read.

So, I've pretty much been doing it right. And you are probably doing it right.
Sunscreen is kind of like the whole drinking water debacle. Could we drink more? Yes. Could we wear a bit more sunscreen? Yes. So, ok, let's do it.

And remember that by adding other sun-protecting measures (like sitting in the shade, wearing a wide-brimmed hat, sitting under a covered chair, wearing a light-weight long sleeved shirt, or SPF clothing, to further protect you when you're doing everything you can with the sunscreen, then that's great, because sunlight begins to break-down the active ingredients in your sunscreen, so it's always best to have some backups.

What happens if you don't wear sunscreen?


So this was a lot of talk about sunscreen. Are you convinced you should wear sunscreen? I really hope that you will. I hope that you will wear it every single day, that it will become a healthy habit for you. No one wants sun damage, and no one wants skin cancer.

The hard thing is, that the damage that is occurring every day, you can't see it, you don't see the damage until it comes up on your skin maybe 10 to 15 years in the future, so because there's no immediate response, other than like a sunburn, that eventually heals, people get this sense that they are safe by not covering their skin, when really, they are not.

Unhealthy exposure to the sun can cause pre-cancerous cells, it can destroy the elastic and collagen tissue that cause lines, wrinkles and sagging skin, sun damage can cause freckles, and discoloration on your skin. So you can still go out and be in the glorious sunshine, which always feels so good. We just need to protect ourselves while doing it.

The best way to wash off sunscreen


Now, one last thing, as far as washing off the sunscreens... don't forget to use a soft washcloth, like Fairface Washcloths, to wash it off your face each night, because it can be harder to get off sunscreen than just regular moisturizer or make-up because it has a thicker, stickiness to it. Especially when you go to the beach and you might have extra thick sunscreen on. I know for me, I have to wash a couple of times to make sure I get all of the sunscreen off my face and body.


Let me know if you try some of these sunscreens that I've mentioned, for sensitive skin types. I would love to know how they feel on your skin, how your skin tolerates them, how well they work with wearing make-up with them. It's really nice to have some good resources and trusted products to recommend to those of us with Rosaea, Eczema, or any other sensitive skin conditions. So I would really appreciate it if you would get in touch with me and let me know if you've tried any of these, and what you think of them.

So, enjoy the sunshine, we still can enjoy it, cover up, stay safe, and thank you so much for being here - and I will see you next time!



Products & sources mentioned in this episode:

  • Eucerin Daily SPF 30
  • Fairface Washcloths
  • Paula's Choice CALM Redness Relief SPF 30 Mineral Moisturizers
  • Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
  • Dermalogica Super Sensitive Shield SPF 30
  • Suntegrity Tinted sunscreen
  • La Roche-Posay sunscreens
  • Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturiser SPF 47
  • Vanicream SPF 50 & SPF 35
  • Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen
  • Neutrogena Sensitive Skin spf 60
  • Avene SPF 50
  • Clarins light-weight spf 50
  • SkinCeuticals
  • Dr. JART BB balm spf 45 with added tint
  • Clinique City Block Oil Free SPF25 and SPF 50
  • Elta MD UV Clear SPF
  • Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen
  • CeraVe AM moisturiser, spf 30
  • Clear Zinc by Ocean Potion
  • Christina Grant
  • Talonted Lex


@PaulasChoice @eucerinus @FairfaceWashcloths @talontedlex @dermalogica @suntegrity @larocheposayusa @josiemarancosmetics @officialvanicream @neutrogena @aveneusa @clarinsusa @skinceuticals @drjart @clinique @eltamdskincare @babobotanicals @cerave @oceanpotionsunscreen @officialvanicream

No comments:

Post a Comment